Nothing makes me more proud and happy than when my toddler inhales a bowl of food that is really good for him! I made these lobster rolls yesterday and while Parks ate his deconstructed style with the bun on the side, he ate every bite of the filling and practically shoveled it in his mouth. That's how good these are guys! If you have never had a lobster roll I think you are going to love them! I will tell you that my hubby and I fell in love with lobster rolls while we were in Maine last year, and ever since coming back I kept saying I wanted to make a healthier version at home! I finally did it and put my own twist on them and the result was incredible! My lobster rolls with avocado, corn, and tomato salad are the perfect summer dinner for any night of the week!
Obviously these are not a traditional lobster rolls, and actually they are a little more California style with the avocado incorporated! I love that these are mayonnaise free and use only a tiny amount of butter to create a healthier option of the classic. I like to eat these with a traditional homestyle bun, but I also like to make them low carb and wrap them up inside some lettuce! Both ways are absolutely delicious and I know you are going to love this version too!
The freshly cooked lobster gets tossed with warm garlic butter and then topped with the fresh avocado salad and the combo is just dynamite y'all! Texas has had heat advisories all week and I have been craving light and fresh meals just like this one! My lobster rolls with avocado, corn, and tomato salad are perfect to make all season long for a simple weeknight dinner or lunch on the weekend with friends and family!
I like to imagine that I'm going to dinner at Ina Garten's house in the Hamptons and we are taking these lobster rolls down to the beach just like she does on her show on the Food Network...I mean it could happen right? A girl can dream, but I promise they are equally as delicious enjoyed right in your own backyard or kitchen!
- 4 Lobster Tails (can sub whole lobster here too)
- 1 Large Hass Avocado
- 1/2 Cup Grape Tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 Cup Finely Diced Red Onion
- 1 Ear of Fresh Raw Corn, sliced off of the cob (can boil or grill corn first, just let it cool)
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Lime Juice
- 3 Tbsp. Kosher Salt + 1 Tsp.
- 1 Tsp. Cracked Black Pepper
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Cloves Smashed Garlic
- Bakery Style Hot Dog Buns
- Lettuce (if preferred instead of buns)
- Micro Greens or Cilantro for topping
- 8 Cups of Water for Boiling Lobster
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil.
- Add 3 Tbsp. of salt to the water after it is boiling and then add in lobster tails.
- Boil lobster tails for 3-5 minutes until shell has turned red and the meat of the lobster has turned white. If boiling the whole lobster this will take more like 10-12 minutes.
- While the lobster is cooking, add diced avocado, corn, and tomatoes to a large bowl.
- Squeeze lime juice over the avocado salad and then season with 1 tsp. of salt and black pepper and then gently toss to combine.
- In another small saucepan, add butter and smashed garlic and gently melt butter and garlic together over medium heat until butter is completely melted and then turn off the heat.
- Remove the lobster from the boiling water and let cool slightly.
- With a pair of kitchen shears, cut a slit down the top of the tails in the middle and gently pull apart and remove lobster meat.
- Chop the lobster meat into bite size pieces and then toss with 1 tbsp. of the garlic butter.
- With the remaining garlic butter brush the hot dog buns and place in a skillet for a few minutes to brown slightly.
- Layer lobster and avocado salad in a bun or in a lettuce wrap, top with micro greens or cilantro, and serve immediately.
Note: Don't overcook your lobster tails, 3-5 minutes will be plenty, overcooking will result in rubbery lobster and the meat will be hard to remove from the shell.
Oh baby these are so good and just scream summertime! I can't wait for you to make them! Makes sure to pin this recipe so you can find it when your cravings hit!