There is a taco phenomenon going on right now and I have to say I am not hating it! I love all kinds of tacos...who doesn't right? We have breakfast tacos once a week in our house and sometimes will have another taco recipe for dinner all in the same week! My hubby would eat tacos all day, everyday if I would make them for him, and our toddler is just as crazy about eating them too! (Like father, like son!) I love making my favorite foods like tacos at home because I can control the ingredients and make them a bit healthier, which means we get to eat them more! One of my favorite easy and healthy weeknight meals that I make on a regular basis happens to be my easy fish tacos!
These tacos are a pretty basic fish taco recipe, but that doesn't mean the flavors aren't super delicious! This recipe is simple enough that you can make restaurant style tacos right in your own kitchen with little work. I like to use a white flaky fish such as cod, but you can also use a mahi mahi if you prefer, both work great here!
I love to char my tortillas and then layer the fish with crunchy purple cabbage, and top it all off with a luscious avocado crema for the perfect fish taco combination of textures and flavors. Trust me, the next time you get a craving for your favorite fish tacos, you won't even have to go out to a restaurant because you will have the perfect simple recipe to make right at home!
- 1 1/2 Lb. Cod Fish (or another white flaky fish)
- 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1/4 Cup Lime Juice + 2 Tbsp.
- 2 Finely Minced Garlic Cloves
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp. Avocado Oil
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Tbsp. Greek Yogurt
- Shredded Red Cabbage
- Thinly Sliced Fresh Jalapeno
- Slice cod into 1 inch thick strips.
- Mix 1/4 cup of lime juice, chili powder, garlic, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper and then pour over fish in a large glass baking dish or plastic bag and marinate for up to 30 minutes if time permits.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add avocado oil to the pan.
- Add marinated fish to the skillet (without the excess marinade) and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes until fish is white and flaky.
- While the fish cooks puree avocado, greek yogurt, 2 tbsp. of lime juice, and the rest of the salt and pepper until smooth to make avocado crema.
- Take tortillas and carefully char on each side over a open flame on a gas stove turned on low until slightly toasted. This will only take about a minute on each side. If you don't have a gas stove, simply place in a skillet for a minute per side to get warm and charred slightly.
- Squeeze the remaining lime juice over the shredded cabbage with a sprinkle of salt and toss to wilt slightly.
- To assemble tacos simply layer cabbage and fish and then top with a big dollop of avocado crema, sliced jalepeno, and cilantro. Serve immediately.