Since coming home from Hawaii, I can't help but remember some of my favorite flavors that I experienced on the island. One of the reasons that I love traveling so much is because of the inspiration I always get from the food that I eat! We ate breakfast at a little spot on the water one morning and before our main entrees came, they served us macadamia nut banana muffins that were out of this world! If you didn't already know, macadamia nuts are everywhere in Hawaii and so they use them in tons of dishes ranging from salads to baked goods! I gave the muffin a healthy spin and added a little coconut for even more of a tropical feel! My healthy macadamia and coconut banana muffins are so good AND so good for you, that they will be your new favorite go-to breakfast!
I don't know about you, but I love a breakfast that I can make in advance and have on hand all week long! I don't do a ton of meal prep, but when I can I will make a batch of muffins, waffles, or bread to have for quick and easy breakfasts or snacks! These muffins are completely kid friendly too and would be perfect for pool days or picnics all summer long!
Inside the muffins there is pineapple, coconut, mac nuts, and healthy fats from greek yogurt and olive oil! They are made with whole wheat flour and are super filling and nutritious so you can feel good about eating them and giving them to your kiddos too! To make these muffins even better they are refined sugar free, and only sweetened by the fruit and coconut sugar! I mean I could go on and on as to why I am in love with this recipe...but I won't for your sake!
Just promise me that you will make them!
I love slathering a bit of coconut butter (or regular butter) while they are warm and enjoying mine while sipping on a cup of coffee! I am so excited for you to try this recipe out for yourself! You won't believe that a muffin that tastes this good is actually healthy too!
- 1 3/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 2 Mashed Bananas
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla
- 1 Tsp. Rum Flavoring (optional, but delicious)
- 8 Oz. Can of Crushed Pineapple
- 1/4 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Macadamia Nuts
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- In another bowl combine bananas, eggs, vanilla, rum flavoring, crushed pineapple, yogurt, and oil and whisk until well combined.
- Whisk in coconut sugar into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Fold together wet and dry ingredients until combined thoroughly.
- Line a cupcake tin with liners and fill to the top with the batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean.
- Serve warm, or store in an airtight container for up to a week.
I'm seriously so excited for you all to try this recipe out if you haven't realized that already! Pin it, save it, share it! You are going to love these muffins so much!