It's officially grilling season here in Texas and I'm a sucker for a good burger! I love playing around with different flavor combinations and cooking them at home allows me to control my ingredients and create a burger that is somewhat healthy too! 80% of the time I crave just a regular cheeseburger, but every now and then I get a craving for something a little different. My harissa chicken burgers with citrus mint feta spread are so full of flavor and are perfect to grill up all summer long!
The thing I adore most about a burger is that there are no rules in the flavor department. You can keep it classic with meat and cheese, or you can get a little crazy with spices, toppings and more! Some of my favorite unique burger combinations are my Lamb Burgers and my Bibimbap burgers and currently this recipe for harissa chicken burgers is working it's way into my heart!
Harissa is a spice that combines smoky chili peppers, cumin, mint, garlic, coriander, and caraway and is found at most grocery stores these days. It's my favorite to use on chicken and fish specifically, and works perfectly with this burger combo! You get a nice (not hot) spice from the harissa in the chicken and that spice is balanced out so nicely with a cool citrus mint feta spread that is equally as delicious served as a dip for veggies and crackers too! Full disclosure, I totally ate on the leftover spread for days after we had these burgers! Top your burger with crispy lettuce, onions, and cucumbers and I'm telling you this burger is going to be a flavor bomb with every bite!
If you want to make them low carb or gluten free, simply swap a bun for a lettuce wrap and you can really indulge guilt free! Fire up those grills peeps, it's time to cook up some burgers! I actually always eat a bun the night I grill my burgers and then eat the leftovers on a lettuce wrap the next day for lunch (if there are any leftovers!) So yummy either way!
P.S. Obviously no worries if you don't have an outdoor grill, a cast iron skillet or grill pan on the stove will work fantastic as well!
- 1 1/2 Lb. Ground Chicken
- 2 Tbsp. Harissa
- 1/4 Finely Chopped Onion
- 2 Minced Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped Fresh Mint
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
- Lettuce for Topping
- Thinly Sliced Cucumber for Topping
- Red Onion for Topping
- Hamburger Buns of Choice (can use lettuce as wraps/bun too for low carb)
For the Feta Spread-
- 8 Oz. Feta Cheese
- 3 Tbsp. Greek Yogurt
- Juice from One Orange (about 1/4 cup) + the zest
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Chopped Mint
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to medium high heat, around 375/400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine chicken, harissa, onion, garlic, mint, olive oil, and salt and pepper.
- Combine until just mixed together and then form into burger patties and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to firm them up.
- In another bowl combine ingredients for the feta spread in a food processor and blend until smooth. (Can mix by hand but the spread will not be smooth, but equally as delicious.)
- Carefully transfer the burgers to the preheated grill and cook on each side for 5-6 minutes for a total of 10-12 minutes or until cooked through.
- To serve spread a generous amount of the feta spread on top and bottom of the bun and then place one burger on the bottom half.
- Top with lettuce, cucumber, and red onion and place the top bun on.
- Serve immediately.