I use our grill about 90% of the time during the summer months. I find myself cooking just about anything and everything on it from meats to veggies to pizzas! I love not having to turn on my oven and the flavor that a grill gives food is hard to beat! Skewers are one of those things that you can make out of any ingredients you have in your fridge and are a great way to use up some of your favorite summer vegetables! My grilled lemon and thyme chicken sausage and veggie skewers are so perfect for any night of the week and your whole family will love them too!
These skewers are so full of flavor thanks to the chicken sausage and the grilled lemon thyme oil that gets brushed over top of the skewers right before they come off the grill! These skewers are so beautiful too and would be perfect for your July 4th celebrations, but are simple enough for an easy weeknight meal! I use all of my favorite summer vegetables like sweet peppers, squash and zucchini, and sweet corn but feel free to add or swap in any of your favorite veggies!
Another perk to this dish is that you can prep all of the ingredients ahead of time, assemble your skewers, and simply grill them up whenever you are ready! Plus, because it's all done on the grill, clean up is minimal and I am all about a meal that makes my life easier (especially during the week!)
I can't wait for you all to try this easy and healthy summer meal out for yourself!
- 1 Lb. Chicken Sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces (I used a Spicy Italian)
- 2 Ears of Corn, cut into 4 small rounds each
- 2 Zucchinis, cut into rounds
- 2 Squash, cut into rounds
- 1 Red Onion, diced into large pieces
- 1 Red Pepper, diced into squares
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme
- 2 Lemons
- 1 Garlic Clove, smashed slightly to release the flavor
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Avocado Oil Spray or Nonstick Spray
- 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before assembling ingredients to help with burning on the grill.
- Preheat the grill or grill pan to medium heat, about 350-375 degrees.
- Start assembling skewers by layering chicken sausage, corn, zucchini, squash, red onion, and red pepper and repeating until each skewer is full and all ingredients have been used up.
- Spray each side of the skewers with avocado oil to prevent sticking on the grill and season with salt and pepper liberally.
- Grill on each side for 6-8 minutes until chicken sausage is cooked through and veggies are tender and charred slightly.
- Cut lemons in half and place them on the grill for about 2 minutes until charred slightly and remove from grill.
- While the skewers continue to cook, heat thyme, garlic, and oil over medium low heat in a small saucepan until the oil becomes fragrant with garlic and thyme. This will take about 5-10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and squeeze grilled lemon juice into the seasoned oil and whisk to combine.
- Take a basting brush and brush the lemon thyme oil over the skewers for the last minute or so of grilling.
- Remove skewers, let sit for 2-3 minutes and serve immediately.
Aren't they beautiful? And I can tell you they are delicious too! Pin this recipe to make all summer long!