I have always had a thing for chewy candy. Give me all of the Swedish Fish, Sour Patch Kids, and Gummy Bears that you have and I will be a happy camper! I don't however love the sugar content so I rarely eat any of my favorite candies, however road trips are always the exception! Parks inherited my sweet tooth unfortunately and the kid LOVES him some gummy snacks. While I try to only buy organic ones and only keep them in my bag for emergencies, like meltdowns in the doctors office etc, I still don't love giving them to him! That's why I decided to make my own gummies at home where I can add things like spinach to the recipe and not have to feel bad about giving Parks a little treat from time to time! My homemade spinach strawberry kombucha gummies are easy to make and full of real ingredients and no refined sugar so you AND your kids can enjoy a little "candy" and not feel bad about it!
You better believe I added a veggie to the mix of this gummy recipe because if we are going to be eating them, we might as well get a little nutrition from it too! If you know anything about me by now, then you know I love adding tons of spinach to smoothies and other kid-friendly recipes to get some extra green into their tummies so why not gummies too? I also decided to use kombucha in the recipe for a little dose of probiotics, but you can definitely swap another liquid that you prefer! We are kombucha lovers in this house so it was the perfect addition to the recipe for us!
I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to make these homemade snacks and can't wait for you to try them out too!
If you are a mom who loves adding in extra veggies wherever you can like me, then you might enjoy making my everyday green smoothie that Parks drinks literally almost every single day, and you probably need my cookbook, First Bites too! The book is full of not only baby and toddler recipes, but recipes that older kids and the whole family can enjoy too!
- 4 Tbsp. Gelatin (usually 1 pack is 1 tablespoon, but measure just to make sure)
- 1 Cup Fresh Strawberries
- 1 Cup Spinach
- 1/2 Cup Plain Kombucha (or you can use water or pure fruit juice of choice)
- 2 Tbsp. Honey (only for babes over 1 years old)
- Add strawberries, spinach, kombucha, and honey to a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Add pureed mixture to a saucepan and sprinkle gelatin on top to let it "bloom".
- Wait until the gelatin is soaked in the liquid and there is almost a wrinkly top that has formed before turning on the heat.
- Once bloomed, warm the mixture over medium heat until gelatin is completely dissolved, careful to not let the gelatin boil. (about 10-15 min)
- Once gelatin is dissolved, remove from heat.
- Using a dropper, carefully drop the warm gelatin liquid into gummy mold of choice and then refrigerate for 30 minutes until gummies are solid.
- Remove from molds and serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for future use for up to two weeks.
Note: You can also pour the mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet into a solid layer and cut into squares if you don't have any molds!
These spinach strawberry kombucha gummes are so delicious and you can feel good knowing that your kids are eating a treat that is actually good for them too! And let's be honest, you are going to be gobbling these up too!