I was sitting at my hair salon in Baton Rouge over the weekend and my hair stylist started telling me about this amazing new Indian Cajun fusion restaurant in New Orleans where he had a delicious turmeric cocktail. He said it was an after dinner drink and that it tasted amazing! Ever since then I haven't been able to get that cocktail off of my mind! I love a turmeric latte so I knew I would love a cocktail version of it just as much! My anti-inflammatory spiced rum golden milk is going to your new favorite post dinner cocktail (or anytime cocktail for that matter)!
I try and incorporate turmeric into dishes whenever I can because it is so good for you! It has anti-inflammatory properties and it increases the antioxidant capacity in your body! I use it in smoothies, add it to soups, chicken, and veggies! But adding it to a cocktail is new for me and I have to tell you that I am loving this recipe so much I don't know why I didn't do it sooner!
I am one that enjoys an occasional egg nog around the holidays, and always kind of miss it throughout the year...well that is until now! As I was sipping this golden milk cocktail it gave me the same satisfaction as an egg nog would! Cold, creamy, spiced just right, and with a hint of heat from the spicy chili I drizzled on top to finish the whole drink off! So so delicious!
You could definitely make this drink warm too if you didn't want it over ice! I happen to be loving the iced version myself because the weather here in Houston has already switched into Spring/Summer temperatures! My anti-inflammatory spiced rum golden milk is the perfect night cap any day of the week!
ANNNDDDD I mean, it's good for us right, because it has turmeric, raw honey, healthy fats from the coconut milk, and cinnamon which has a plethora of benefits for our health too! So we should basically get to drink one whenever we want! (ha)
I cannot wait for you all to give this one try guys, the color is insanely beautiful and the flavors are on point!
- 1 Can Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1, 1 Inch Piece of Grated Fresh Turmeric (or 1/4 Tsp. Ground Turmeric)
- 1 Pinch of Black Pepper (helps for your body to absorb the turmeric)
- 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp. Raw Honey
- 1/4 Tsp. Cinnamon + more for dusting
- 1 Tiny Pinch of Salt
- 4 Oz. of Spiced Rum
- Drizzle of Spicy Chili Honey (optional, but can be found in specialty spice stores, farmer's markets, online etc.)
- Ice Cubes
(recipe makes two drinks)
- Combine coconut milk, turmeric, black pepper, vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt in a small saucepan and gently heat until coconut milk and honey have melted and the milk has turned bright yellow. Take off of the heat, strain through a fine mesh strainer, and cool in the refrigerator for up to overnight, but at least thirty minutes.
- Add rum to a cocktail shaker and then pour turmeric milk in along with a couple of ice cubes and shake until thoroughly chilled.
- Pour over crushed ice and then drizzle spicy chili honey over top if desired.
Note: To serve hot, simply add rum to the warmed coconut milk mixture and serve!
Have y'all ever tried a turmeric cocktail before? If not, now is the time!