As we were driving back from Louisiana over the weekend, we stopped at a gas station and my hubby came back to the car with a pack of Almond Joys. They are 100% his favorite candy bar and so after I rolled my eyes at him (because my sweet tooth can't be stopped when candy is present) we all split that Almond Joy and I have to admit, it tasted amazing. But as I was eating it I was thinking about how simple it would be to make that same candy bar right in my own kitchen with minimal ingredients that aren't terrible for us to enjoy and then I wouldn't have to feel any guilt about satisfying my chocolate craving! My recipe for 5 ingredient healthier almond joys are so delicious that you will never miss the real thing!
When I started thinking about how to make these, I thought...no way it can be that simple. But guys, it was and this recipe really is easy peasy! I love storing these bad boys in the freezer because I love all chocolate cold and crunchy! (My mom does the same thing so I guess she is to blame for my preference!) You could also store them in the fridge if you prefer them a little softer, but they should stay cold to prevent the chocolate from melting.
When you can eat a candy bar made from wholesome ingredients with none of the bad stuff, you don't have to feel bad about it and that is what I am all about! I am definitely not about depriving my body of the cravings it regularly gets, chocolate being high on the list! Life is too short to not enjoy the food that tastes really good, but I also believe in making it at home where I can control the ingredients when I have the option!
I cannot wait for you all to give these a try and see for yourself just how easy and delicious these healthier Almond Joys really are! My hubby was pretty pumped when he got home yesterday to a surprise waiting on him after dinner and gave them his seal of approval! So there you go...and he's an Almond Joy enthusiast!
What are you waiting for? Go get the ingredients and make them ASAP!
- 2 Cups of Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- 3 Tbsp. Honey (or any other sticky sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 Cup of Melted Coconut Oil + 1 Tsp.
- 1/2 Cup of Almonds
- 1 Cup of Dark Chocolate Morsels (can use milk chocolate if you prefer)
Optional: Pinch of Salt
- In a large bowl combine coconut, honey, 1/2 cup coconut oil, and pinch of salt. Stir together with a rubber spatula until well combined. (You can also pulse in a food processor for a smoother filling)
- Line a bread pan with parchment paper and then press down coconut mixture into a firm layer.
- Layer two almonds in a row, an inch a part vertically and horizontally over the coconut mixture so that two almonds will be in each bar.
- In a microwaveable bowl combine chocolate morsels and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between until chocolate is melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the almonds and coconut mixture and use a spoon or spatula to make sure the chocolate fully coats the top in a solid layer.
- Place in the freezer for thirty minutes until chocolate is firm.
- Slice into bars and store in the freezer for a healthy treat any time!
My brain is twirling with what candy bar I'm going to tackle next after the success of these almond joys and I am thinking maybe Baby Ruth's (my fave candy bar) are next up in the kitchen!
Man, just looking at these pictures again is making me want to eat one of these for breakfast, which is not a bad way to start the day!