The weather has just been picture perfect lately and I know that means that the real Texas heat is about to be here in a matter of days, but for now it has been so lovely. We have been spending every second that we can outside in the sprinkler, at the park, blowing bubbles in the backyard...whatever! My boys and I love to be outside whenever possible and so I have been thinking of ways that I can get dinner on the table without having to make Parks come inside while I'm doing it! And since I love to grill, it's the perfect solution to dinner and in preventing a toddler meltdown. My grilled pineapple and flank steak tacos are simple, loaded with tons of flavor, and your whole family is going to love them!
These tacos would be the BOMB for Cinco de Mayo if you are hosting a little shin-dig at your house, because they require little effort on your part (leaving your more time for mingling and margaritas), but they are equally as easy to whip up for a fresh and delicious weeknight meal.
I like to marinate my flank steak in advance and chop all of my toppings (minus the avocado..because brown isn't appealing), and then literally I heat up the grill and pop the beef and the pineapple on and dinner is ready in 20 minutes. FOR REAL....it seriously does not get much easier than that! Serve these tacos alongside my recipe for cilantro lime rice or a low-carb cauliflower rice version and your meal is complete!
For the Steak-
- 1 Lb. Flank Steak or Skirt Steak
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/4 Cup Canola Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 5 Finely Minced Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Cilantro (optional if you are one of those people who hate it)
- Finely Sliced Fresh Jalepeno (you could omit or use pickled here if preferred)
- Finely Sliced Red Onion
- Grilled Pineapple Slices
- Corn Tortillas
Note: Add or subtract whatever ingredients you want here. Cojita cheese would be yummy and you can always add in a tomatillo or regular salsa on top if desired!
- Combine lime juice, oil, chili powder, minced garlic, cilantro, salt, pepper, and steak into a large plastic bag and let it marinate for at least two hours but up to overnight.
- Preheat grill to 500 degrees.
- Let marinated flank steak come to room temperature.
- Grill the steak on each side for 6-7 minutes for a medium steak with a little pink on the inside. Simply adjust the time based on how you like your steak prepared.
- After you flip the flank steak, add fresh pineapple slices to the grill for about 2 minutes per side until just charred slightly.
- Remove pineapple and flank steak and let the meat rest for five minutes.
- While the meat is resting, grill your tortillas for a minute per side until they are just charred or alternatively put them directly onto your gas burner on your stove and char on each side. (Make sure to watch tortillas closely as they will burn very easily.)
- To assemble, layer pineapple, avocado, flank steak, red onion, and jalepeno.
- Serve immediately.
You guys have to make these tacos like ASAP! They are soo incredibly yummy! And if you are planning on hosting a Cinco de Mayo party, it would be so much fun to set up a taco bar with all of these ingredients for people to make their own tacos! I hope y'all will enjoy this recipe as much as we have!