Happy Monday guys! How was your Easter weekend? I hope it was filled with chocolate, friends, family, and maybe a little rest too! We had a great weekend spent playing outside in the sprinkler, hunting for eggs, and stuffing our bellies full of BBQ. I have however been battling a cold, and while it hasn't made me feel horrible, it has got me sneezing and my nose running like crazy. Whenever I feel my body starting to get sick or worn down I always try and rev up my smoothie intake because I can cram a ton of good ingredients into one drink! My citrus immune boosting smoothie is just the kind of drink that I will be sipping on all week long and I figured you might need it too!
I am going to miss citrus season so much and am trying to take advantage of the last grapefruits and oranges that taste sweeter than ever right now. Don't get me wrong I am totally embracing strawberries and soon to be blueberries and melons, but I do love my citrus! It's full of vitamins including that little thing called Vitamin C that our bodies need to fight off germs and honestly I just feel good when I incorporate it into my diet. We go through about two huge bags of clementines a week between the three of us, and while I am the only one who really eats grapefruits, you can always find them in my refrigerator (because I like them cold.)
This smoothie can be made with whatever citrus you have on hand and is taken up a notch in the immune boosting department by adding turmeric and ginger, bee pollen, probitotics, and has good omegas in there too!
Do yourself and your family a favor and make this smoothie to ensure that you stay healthy through Spring!
- 1 Peeled and Seeded Grapefruit
- 1 Peeled and Seeded Blood Orange (can substitute regular navel oranges or clementines)
- 1 Frozen Banana
- 1 Inch Piece of Peeled Fresh Turmeric (or 1 Tsp. Dried Turmeric)
- 1 Inch Piece of Peeled Fresh Ginger
- 1 Pinch of Black Pepper (it helps the turmeric to get absorbed in your body and you won't even taste it)
- 1/2 Cup Kefir (probiotic dose)
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Water
- 1 Tsp. Bee Pollen
- 1 Tsp. Raw and Local Honey (this helps keep you healthy if you can get it locally)
- 1 Tbsp. Hemp Seeds (omegas)
- 1 Tbsp. Collagen Peptides (optional)
- 6 Ice Cubes
Optional: Can add a flavorless protein here as well.
- Add all ingredients into a blender and process until smooth.
- Serve immediately.
Note: Makes 2 Smoothies.
This smoothie is seriously delicious and your whole family will love it! (Seriously, my toddler will suck a whole cup full just by himself!)