Happy Monday guys! I seriously cannot believe that tomorrow is Halloween! This weekend we enjoyed some gorgeous fall weather, I made a big pot of gumbo, and we spent lots of time outside! We haven't done much of anything for Halloween yet, but are headed over to trick or treat with some friends tomorrow night! I feel like Parks is still a little young to really understand it all, but I am sure next year will be a whole other story! And because pumpkin season is in full swing and I want to know, are you still on board with pumpkin spice everything or are you like please no more pumpkin? I am really hoping it's the first option, because I have turned my favorite waffle recipe from my cookbook, First Bites, into the most delicious whole wheat pumpkin waffles that you are going to want to make from now until Christmas!
Every single week I make a big batch of waffles on the weekend and then freeze the leftovers so that I have easy and quick breakfasts all week long for me and Parks! When you freeze the waffles the day that you make them they will stay as fresh as they are right out of the waffle iron! Simply pop them in the toaster (frozen) and you are good to go! No need to buy frozen waffles in the store, because they are so easy to make right at home!
These waffles are guilt free to because they are made with zero sugar, whole wheat flour, and can be topped with honey or maple syrup for just a touch of sweetness so you can feel good about eating them and feeding them to your family however many days of the week you choose to!
I haven't done this yet, but you could totally make them gluten free pretty easily if you wanted. I have substituted non-dairy milk and made them with a flax egg and both work great for a vegan or non-dairy option and I am willing to bet the dry ingredients would sub pretty evenly for whatever works for your dietary needs!
I don't know about you, but if I can start every day with a waffle...then why not?
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp. Nutmeg
- 1 Tsp. Ginger
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Egg
- 2 Cups Whole Milk (or milk of choice, dairy free works too)
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 Cup Melted Coconut Oil
- Heat waffle iron.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking powder, and salt until well combined in a large bowl.
- In another bowl whisk together egg, milk, vanilla, pumpkin puree, and lastly melted coconut oil at the end.
- Combine wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Place about 1/4 cup of the waffle batter into each square of the waffle iron and cook until done.
- Top with your favorite toppings and serve immediately or let cool and freeze for future use.
I hope you guys will make a batch of these pumpkin waffles asap and I hope that you have a fantastic rest of your week! Did you trick or treat with your family over the weekend or are you celebrating tomorrow night too?