In the South, you grow up drinking sweet iced tea. It's a staple at everyone's house and more than likely if you go and visit someone, sweet tea will be offered to you. In my opinion, you should never pass up homemade sweet iced tea. It's so refreshing, tooth achingly sweet, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't keep sweet tea in the house at all times because Canean and I would drink entirely too much of it, but I thought this week a peach sweet iced tea with bourbon sounded like the perfect cocktail to dive into summer and to channel my Tennessee roots.
If ever there were a trio that was meant to be together, it is sweet tea, peaches, and bourbon. The flavors pair effortlessly together creating the ultimate refreshing cocktail! Peaches are just coming into season meaning they are getting sweeter and sweeter by the week and that means I am entering my peach obsession phase. Which apparently I have had since I was a little girl. My mom will tell you that I would eat as many peaches as she would give me and not much has changed!
We just recently found a farmer's market not far from our house and I am so excited I can hardly stand it because I have missed our local Louisiana market so much since moving to Texas. One of the things they are selling right now is peaches, making this pregnant lady one happy camper.
The thing that's great about this recipe is that you can add bourbon or not. Obviously I'm just drinking peach sweet iced tea straight, but Canean likes to add a little bourbon to his!
This would be the perfect cocktail to make a pitcher of and serve at your summer BBQ or pool party! Whether you are southern or not, I am pretty sure you will get on board with today's cocktail!
- 4 Cups of Water, plus extra for filling pitcher
- 1 Family Size Black Tea Bag or 3-4 Individual Bags
- 1/2 Cup of Peach Simple Syrup (1/2 Cup Water, 1/2 Cup Sugar, 2 Peaches sliced. Bring to a boil and turn off heat. Let peaches sit in the syrup for 10 minutes. Strain liquid.)
- 1/2 Cup of Bourbon
- Extra Peach Slices for Garnish
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add tea bag and turn off heat. Let steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove tea bag and pour tea into a large pitcher.
- Add peach simple syrup and fill the pitcher the rest of the way with cold water.
- Chill peach sweet iced tea.
- Add bourbon right before serving. You can adjust bourbon based on how strong you would like your tea or omit completely! You can also add just a single serving if you just want to make one spike peach sweet iced tea.
Cheers to summertime, good drinks, and time spent with those you love! Xo