When the days become as hot as they have been lately, my meal planning becomes super simple. I want fresh, light, and easy. And what's easier than throwing together some yummy salads a couple of nights a week? I love creating salads with whatever I have in the fridge and my favorite trick to take a salad from good to great is adding some fruit to the mix! There is something about that sweet bite from fruit mixed with the other salad ingredients that is so delicious, especially if you are eating salads a couple nights a week as your main course, fruit helps to keep your taste buds excited! My grilled flank steak and cherry salad is the perfect summertime dinner, combining some of my favorite flavors onto a plate!
Let's talk cherries real quick. Are you buying cherries by the bulk at the store right now like I am? I go crazy at this time of year when prices drop from seven dollars a pound to three dollars a pound. And don't even get me started on how jealous I am of all the people living in California who can pick up their share of gorgeous cherries at their local farmer's markets...I mean, how lucky are they? I have been eating them like candy for about a month now, most of the time for a healthy afternoon snack, but last week I decided to throw them into a salad and see what would happen!
I am no stranger to fruit in a salad. My go-to salad fruits are strawberries, blueberries, apples, and pears, but let me tell you adding cherries is my new favorite way makeover a salad! Their sweet but slightly tart flavor pairs so well with whatever meat you happen to be fixing and I have found the perfect combination in my grilled flank steak and cherry salad!
Grilled flank steak combined with fresh grilled corn, sweet cherries, tangy goat cheese and a delicious shallot and balsamic vinaigrette is a party in your mouth! This salad is sure to be your new favorite healthy weeknight meal! I would also totally entertain with this dish, it's stunning on a platter!
- 1 Flank Steak
- 1 Cup of Cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 Ears of Fresh Corn
- 4 Cups of Mixed Greens
- 2 Oz. Goat Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus 1 Tbsp.
- 1 Shallot, Sliced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Tsp. Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper
- Season flank steak with 1 tbsp. of olive oil and salt and pepper. Make sure to season both sides of the steak well with salt and pepper to ensure good flavor, don't be shy. Bring to room temperature while you make the vinaigrette.
- Combine balsamic vinegar, sliced shallot, 2 smashed garlic cloves, dijon mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl and mix well. Slowly pour in extra virgin olive oil and whisk at the same time to combine thoroughly. Let sit while the salad is prepared.
- Preheat grill to high heat. Grill steak on each side for about 4-7 minutes until done according to your liking. (4 minutes is medium rare to give you an idea)
- While your steak cooks, add corn and grill a couple of minutes on each sides until slightly charred. Remove steak and corn from heat and let the steak rest for five to ten minutes, tenting with aluminum foil to let juices redistribute.
- Take the kernels off of the cob by running a sharp knife down each side.
- To assemble salad, layer mixed greens, corn, goat cheese, and cherries onto a plate. Top with flank steak and drizzle vinaigrette over top, making sure to grab some of the marinated shallots onto the salad as well.
- Serve immediately!
This salad is so great guys, I promise you are going to be ooing and awing the whole time that you are eating! This salad is better than any restaurant salad and you can make right in the comfort of your own home!