Did anyone else's weekend fly by? I don't know why this comes as a surprise to me week after week, but it never fails every Sunday night I find myself moping around at the fact that the weekend is coming to a close again. It's not even that Mondays are really all the bad for me. They consist of meal planning, email responses, and shooting recipes. All of which I don't mind doing one bit and one important step to my weekday productivity is always a good breakfast. If I don't start out the day with a good meal, I can pretty much kiss my chances of my brain working properly goodbye. My open-faced egg sandwich with arugula pesto is just the kind of breakfast that will fuel my day!
Early in my pregnancy I only wanted to eat cereal for breakfast and couldn't really even stand the thought of eggs. Therefore I didn't eat very many, and my breakfast became very routine. Since I have been in my second trimester, my love of eggs has returned and I am so glad because they really are good for me and baby! It's also added a little variety to my breakfasts, keeping me from getting bored with the same old thing every morning. The good thing about that is, if you aren't bored, you don't get off track from your diet!
I am aware that this breakfast might not be doable for everyone on a hectic weekday morning, but several ingredients can be made in advance keeping the time it takes to prep down to the very minimum. It also happens to be the perfect weekend brunch recipe as well! Or if you are feeling crazy, I love this dish for dinner! It's a fancy toast that can really be eaten whenever you feel like it. And who doesn't love breakfast for dinner anyway? As a kid I loved when my mom would fix breakfast for dinner, it was the best treat!
This sandwich is loaded with great flavor with strips of bacon, a perfectly fried egg, spicy arugula pesto, and fresh tomatoes! It's summery, easy to make, and good for you too (yes even with the bacon...moderation people.)
Next time your are in the mood for some eggs, whip up this recipe and you will be so happy that you did!
- 2 Pieces of Whole Wheat Bread
- 6 Strips of Cooked Bacon (you could use Turkey Bacon too)
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup of Grape or Cherry Tomatoes, quartered
- 2 Tbsp Arugula Pesto (1/2 Cup of Arugula, 1 Tbsp. Pine Nuts, 1 Garlic Clove, 1/4-1/3 Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1/4 Cup of Grated Parmesan Cheese, Salt and Pepper. Combine all in a food processor and combine until smooth and creamy.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Crack two eggs over the pan and cook on one side until egg whites are cooked through. I like my yolk runny (when I'm not pregnant), but if you like yours cooked through just cook for a longer amount of time. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast whole wheat bread.
- Layer 3 strips of bacon on each piece of bread, top with fried egg, drizzle arugula pesto over top, and then add fresh tomatoes.
- Serve immediately.
Food this pretty and full of color practically screams that it is good for you! Try this eggalicious dish the next time you want to jazz up your egg game and let me know how you like it!