I'll just never be the girl who can give up pasta. There I said it, I've tried before and I've failed, and I decided a life without pasta is just no life for me. You feel me right? That's why we are friends after all... I mean I'm not saying we should be eating it every day of the week, but when the craving hits, you most definitely should indulge! One of my favorite comfort pastas is macaroni and cheese because it brings me back to my childhood, my kiddo loves it, and I mean it's cheese and pasta after all...a match made in heaven. My easy 3- ingredient macaroni and cheese is going to change your life in the homemade mac-n-cheese game because it is so easy to make and is super creamy and delicious!
I used to always make my homemade macaroni and cheese by starting with a roux (a butter and flour mixture), and then one day I read somewhere that you can make the cheesiest of mac-n-cheeses with cream and cheese. (Mind blown.) So of course I had to try it out for myself and since that day I haven't made macaroni and cheese with a roux ever again!
This method is a serious game changer and makes it easy enough for any one to make delicious and cheesy mac-n-cheese in a hurry! I am all about making indulgent foods from scratch because then I can control the ingredients which makes me feel so much better about eating them myself and serving them to my family! This recipe is by no means a light dish, but with just heavy cream, cheese, and pasta you get to control the quality of ingredients that you are using and that is a good thing!
This recipe is delicious on it's own, but it also makes for a delicious side dish for any weeknight dinner or holiday table! You are going to wonder how you didn't know about this method before now! You can also make this mac-n-cheese gluten free by subbing regular pasta for your favorite gluten free version! I love making a batch of this and then reheating leftovers for Parks' lunchbox the next day! I will add peas to his for a little veg action to complete his lunch and it's way better than the instant kind you buy at the store!
Do yourself a favor and the next time you get a hankering for some seriously delicious macaroni and cheese, try this recipe out! You are going to love it!
- 1 Lb. Pasta Shells (or pasta shape of choice)
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt + more for pasta water
- 1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Pasta Water (if needed)
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil and then salt heavily.
- Add pasta and cook until al dente, according to package directions.
- In the meantime heat heavy cream over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes until it thickens slightly.
- Whisky in cheese, 1/2 tsp. salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Reserve pasta water and then drain the pasta.
- Add drained pasta to the cheese mixture and stir in the pasta until coated.
- If needed for consistency, add in a little pasta water at a time until it reaches the thickness desired.
- Serve immediately.