I'm here to let you know that I am extending the weekend another day! And yes I have the authority to do that. This weekend went by too fast, which it always does, but this weekend really sped by and I am just not ready to go into full on weekday mode today! So today I am challenging myself and you to do one thing for yourself that you wouldn't normally allow yourself to do today. Self-care Monday should totally be a thing if you ask me! Take a bubble bath in the middle of the day, read a book for a little while, take a power nap, whatever it is..do it! I need that today, and I am guessing so do you! And you know what else we need today? A little comfort food, so let's make ourselves a spinach and artichoke grilled cheese and call it a day!
I love a good grilled cheese, I mean what's not to love right? Bread, butter, and cheese...three of my favorite things. But sometimes it's fun to mix things up a bit in the flavor department and put ingredients like a classic spinach and artichoke pairing and make it into a sandwich! This recipe is going to quickly become one of your favorites because who wants to always make a big ole batch of spinach and artichoke dip for yourself? Unless you are having a party or going to a party usually that dip doesn't happen, but that doesn't mean the cravings still don't hit!
This recipe is super family friendly too and while you can totally just make it for yourself, it's also a great way to get some spinach into your kiddos! I wouldn't by any means classify this sandwich as a healthy one, because hello butter and cheese, but it is packed with a good amount of spinach!
Hey, we all need a little indulgence from time to time!
This grilled cheese pairs perfectly with my Spicy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup, but is also great on it's own too! Perfectly crisp bread and creamy and melty cheese on the inside, stuffed with spinach and artichokes makes for one unforgettable grilled cheese let me tell you!
Get yourself to the store today and whip up these tasty spinach and artichoke grilled cheeses tonight for dinner! I know you will love them as much as my family does!
- Whole Grain Bread
- 4 Oz. Jarred Artichokes (drained and roughly chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Spinach (defrosted and drained, squeezing all of the liquid out of the leaves)
- 2 oz. Room Temperature Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Finely Minced Garlic Clove
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
- Butter for Bread at Room Temperature
- Combine artichokes, spinach, cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Heat a griddle or iron skillet over medium heat.
- Butter two pieces of bread each on one side generously and then spread about 1/4 cup of the spinach artichoke mixture on one side that is not buttered. Top with the other piece of bread making sure the buttered side is on top.
- Place sandwich onto a griddle and top with another heavy skillet or pot (can use beans to help weight the pan down if needed) and cook on each side for approximately 5-6 minutes until bread is golden brown and cheese is melty. (Having the pan on top of the sandwich while cooking creates a better crust and also helps the filling to heat through and melt evenly.)
- Slice in half and serve immediately.
Note: Can also use a panini press to make grilled cheeses.
Remember to give yourself a little Monday grace today and take thirty minutes to do something for yourself! I guarantee it will help you ease into the week if you are struggling like me today!