Happy happy Monday friends! How was your weekend? We had a great visit to Louisiana where we ate too much (as always), got to see friends and family, and came home yesterday to a gorgeous Texas afternoon! We spent the day in the backyard soaking up every second of the perfect weather that is for sure not going to stay around for very long! It's days like these where simple meals to me are the best meals. One, I don't want to take too much time in the kitchen away from my guys and two, days like yesterday make me want to eat a light and fresh meal that the whole family will be a fan of. My easy roasted asparagus pesto pasta is so perfect for any night of the week and you are going to love how simple this recipe truly is.
Asparagus is in season and I could eat it multiple times a week! I love it in it's true form with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper and then roasted until just tender! To me, you can't go wrong with this method! I love the combination of the roasted asparagus with fresh basil pesto combined to make a beautiful, light, and fresh Spring pasta dish that can literally be ready in under thirty minutes!
This meal is 100% kid friendly and is the perfect way to get them to eat their veggies! My 18-month old is a huge fan of this pasta and will gobble up his whole bowl! You need to add this to your weeknight meal planning asap and I promise you won't regret it!
- 1 Lb. Rotini Pasta (or pasta shape of your choice, can sub gluten-free pasta, whole-wheat etc.)
- 2 Cups of Fresh Basil
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil + 1 Tbsp.
- 1 Peeled Garlic Clove
- 2 Tbsp. Pine Nuts
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 Lb. Asparagus
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil on the stove over high heat.
- Add pasta and cook until al dente or according to the package's directions.
- While the pasta is boiling season the asparagus with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Toss to evenly coat and spread onto a baking sheet.
- Roast for 10-12 minutes until asparagus are just tender and slightly caramelized. Set aside.
- While the asparagus is roasting make the pesto by combining basil, 1/3 cup olive oil, garlic, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces.
- When the pasta has finished cooking, take a ladle and reserve 1 cup of the pasta water before draining off the pasta and then drain the pasta.
- Add the pasta back to to the large pot along with the pesto and the asparagus and half of the reserved pasta water.
- Stir to combine until the pesto has coated the pasta thoroughly.
- Add more pasta water if needed for consistency.
- Serve immediately.
This meal isn't fancy, but it is delicious and I promise you that anyone can make it at home!