I've been teasing you with this recipe for almost a month now if you follow me on social media, and I really do apologize for that! Life, work, and everything else has been crazy and holiday recipes have been taking over my life. Which don't get me wrong...I love me some holiday recipes, but we also need some healthy balance in between the cookies, wine, and homemade doo-dads! Enter sweet potato and chickpea curry soup...here to fill your bellies with nothing but the good stuff, all the while being super tasty too!
I actually made this recipe one week when I hadn't been to the grocery store and needed to whip up a dinner that my boys would approve of! It ended up being so delicious that I knew I had to share it with y'all too! It's such a comforting, flavor packed bowl of goodness and is perfect for this time of year when the weather is chilly!
My toddler even gobbled up a bowl without hesitation, but then again he loves anything coconut or curry! I like to give credit to the fact that I loved curries when I was pregnant and I also gave him curry spice when he was rather young so that he would grow up loving it as much as I do! I will say that my hubby, who usually prefers some meat protein with his dinner, even approved of this one guys, so you know it's a keeper! The whole thing from start to finish can be ready in 30-45 minutes (including prep) and it really is the easiest, no fail recipe that I will be making time and time again and I think you will too!
Make this one night when the weather is just right and your body is craving a little balance from too many holiday treats and I promise you and your family are going to love it!
- 1 Sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2, 15 oz. Cans of Chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 Onion, diced small
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced small
- 1, 15 oz. Can of Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 4 Cups of Vegetable Stock
- 2 Tbsp. Curry Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Avocado Oil or Vegetable Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Green Onions
Note: To make this a spicy curry soup, you can swap regular curry powder for thai red curry powder or add in a hot pepper to the mix!
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add oil to the pan.
- Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in red pepper and sweet potato at this time, season with more salt and pepper and continue to sauté for another five minutes.
- Add curry powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in vegetable stock and season with more salt and pepper and stir to combine all ingredients.
- At this time, add chickpeas to the pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 20-25 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Pour in coconut milk and cook for another five minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Serve the soup with green onions and cilantro.
This soup is so good for you and is seriously delicious too! Add this to your weekly meal plan and I know you will love it!