Let's talk Thanksgiving guys because after all it's officially less than two weeks away! Are you hosting at your house, are you going to a family or friend's house? Whatever the case may be I bet you have to contribute at least one thing to the meal am I right? And sometimes figuring out what that should be can be tricky, but I got that covered for you this year! My easy cranberry skillet cake is rustic and beautiful and is seriously simple to make even for us non-bakers (yep including me in that category)!
I happen to absolutely love Thanksgiving and it is really hard for me to choose between it and Christmas as to what ranks as my favorite holiday! I will say that the only reason Christmas might take the lead is because I am a little bit Christmas tree and Christmas light obsessed and would leave all my decorations up year round if it were up to me. But back to Thanksgiving and all of the yumminess that comes with it..because that is the real reason you are here right now!
I love this cranberry skillet cake for so many reasons! It can double as a dessert or a coffee cake like breakfast cake that will pair perfectly with a hot cup of joe during your holiday festivities! Or if you are like me, you will probably eat it for dessert and then have it for breakfast the next morning because that's how we roll during the holidays! This cake is so simple to make and I would be willing to bet even the worst of bakers could make this cake work for them!
This recipe for cranberry skillet cake is not too sweet and is so light and fluffy on the inside, truly the best balance of textures and flavors! I can't wait for you guys to give this one a try! And if you are looking for another easy Thanksgiving dessert, give my Pumpkin Bars a try...or you should probably just make both. :)
1 Cup Flour + 2 Tbsp. for powdering the skillet
1/4 Tsp. Baking Soda
1 Tsp. Baking Powder
3/4 Cup Sugar
1 Tsp. Vanilla
3/4 Cup Milk
4 Tbsp. Softened Butter + 2 Tbsp for greasing the skillet
1 Cup Fresh Cranberries + more for garnish
1 Tbsp. Orange Zest
Powered Sugar for garnishing
For the topping-
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
4 Tbsp. Cold Butter, cut into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rub 2 Tbsp. of butter all over the skillet to completely coat in a light layer and then sprinkle the 2 tbsp. of flour and shake around until the skillet is covered in a light layer. Dump out any excess flour.
- Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl and mix with an electric or stand mixer until it's smooth and creamy.
- Add in egg and vanilla and continue to mix until smooth and then pour in milk and mix one more time.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and orange zest.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the cranberries at this time.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and spread into an even layer.
- In a small bowl make the topping by combining brown sugar and flour and then cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it is a crumble texture.
- Sprinkle on top of the skillet cake and then nestle a few more cranberries over top so that they will show when the cake has finished cooking.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until cake is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar right before serving along with a few fresh cranberries.
- Serve immediately or serve at room temperature!
Isn't it beautiful guys? I love that is turns out so stunning and it so easy to whip up! I think your family and friends are going to love this skillet cake at your holiday celebration this year!