It's December which means bring on everything holiday! Christmas music on repeat all day everyday, holiday baking, and cozy nights by the tree are just a few of my favorite things about this time of year. I feel like I turn back into a kid as soon as tree goes up, which this year was before Thanksgiving (because I was feeling it..) and I still love Christmas time as much now as when I was a little girl! I'm so excited to start new traditions with Parks and now that he is two, he is really starting to get into Christmas as much as his mama, which totally makes my heart sing. Christmas cookies and cocktails are two of my favorite holiday indulgences and I've got the perfect pairing for you to try this year! My matcha vanilla bean shortbread cookies paired with a boozy matcha white hot chocolate will put you in the holiday spirit immediately!
Do you drink matcha tea? It's the prettiest shade of green and has a ton of health benefits like being packed with antioxidants! Not only does it make a delicious matcha latte or tea, but you can also do things like bake with it! I knew I wanted to try my hand at matcha cookies for the Christmas season because who doesn't want a green cookie? It's so delicious and paired with a vanilla bean, it makes the most delicious shortbread, which just so happens to be my favorite of the cookie varieties!
To go along with your cookies, Santa needs a festive drink to pair with holiday cookies, so why not add a little booze to this spin on a regular hot chocolate? My boozy matcha white hot chocolates are so delicious and you are going to love this new flavor combo for something different this year! Broil some marshmallows in the oven and make your drink even more special! Santa will be sure to bring you all that you ask for you on your list if he knows this is waiting for him down the chimney!
I'm telling y'all this combo is what you should be eating and drinking all season long! These recipes would be perfect for any family gathering or holiday party and they make for a beautiful presentation too!
Matcha Vanilla Bean Shortbread Cookies:
- 2 Sticks (1 Cup) of Salted Good Quality Butter
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Vanilla Bean Pod
- 2 Tbsp. Matcha Powder
- 1 Tsp. Cold Water
- Combine butter with powdered sugar in a stand mixer and slowly add in flour, followed by vanilla extract and beans, matcha powder, and water. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Form into a ball and press between two sheets of wax paper.
- Roll the dough out into an 1/4 inch thick.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes but up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Take cookies out of the refrigerator and remove the top layer of wax paper. Cut out desired shapes of shortbread and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned.
- Let cool for 1 minute on baking sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack to finish their cool down.
- Ice cookies if desired.
- Serve immediately or store in an air tight container for up to one week.
Boozy Matcha White Hot Chocolate:
- 2 Cups of Milk of Your Choice
- 4 Oz. Rum or Bourbon
- 4 Tbsp. White Chocolate Chips
- 3 Tsp. Matcha Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- Combine milk, white chocolate, matcha powder, and salt to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until chocolate is melted and milk is warmed.
- Pour in rum or bourbon and stir to combine.
- Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, blend the drink until frothy.
- Turn oven on broil.
- Place marshmallows onto a parchment lined baking sheet and broil on high for 2-5 minutes (keeping a close eye) until marshmallows are toasted.
- Pour matcha white hot chocolate into two glasses and top with marshmallows. Serve immediately.
'Tis the season for cookies and cocktails guys and I know you will love these two!