Happy Monday guys! How was your weekend? My in-laws came to visit and we boiled crawfish, went to a Houston Astros game, and got caught in a rain storm! It was a great weekend spent with family and it definitely went by too quickly, as weekends usually do! It's been raining here for the past week off and on (monsoon style) and today the sun is finally out and it looks like it's here to stay making Monday a little brighter! And if it isn't sunny where you are, I have something else that will make your Monday a little sunnier! My tomato jam BLT's are dabomb.com and you guys are going to flip out when you take a bite of this flavor loaded sandwich!
Y'all know I love my BLT's and I am always looking for new ways to dress them up to make them feel extra special. If you haven't tried my delicious BLT's with oven fried green tomatoes and caramelized onion "mayo" then it should be added to your BLT recipe list, but this tomato jam BLT is another amazing version and is sure to rock your face off! I don't even know what rock your face off means, but this sandwich will do it.
I have never met a sandwich with bacon on it that I didn't like, and I am a firm believer that bacon can make anything taste better! This sandwich is smoky from the bacon, slightly sweet and spicy from the tomato jam, and is perfectly balanced with peppery arugula to create the ultimate sandwich experience!
Your whole family will love you if this tomato jam BLT appears on their plate for dinner, I can promise you that! I love serving it alongside some corn on the cob or homemade oven fries for the perfect summer meal!
- 1 Lb. Thick Cut Bacon
- Tomato Jam (4 Vine Peeled and Cored Ripe Tomatoes, 1/3 Cup of Honey, 1 Tsp. Red Chili Flake, 1/2 Sliced Onion, 1 Clove of Minced Garlic, Salt and Pepper.)
- 1 Cup of Baby Arugula
- Ciabatta Bread
- Reduced Fat Mayo for Toasting the Bread
- Combine ingredients for tomato jam in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for about an hour until jam thickens and reduces. Remove from heat. You can make this in advance, it will keep up in your fridge for two weeks.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line bacon on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake for about 15-20 minutes until bacon is done to your likeness, flipping once halfway through.
- Drain bacon on paper towels to remove excess grease.
- Slice ciabatta bread and slather mayo on the inside of the top and bottom slices of bread.
- Preheat griddle to medium heat and toast bread mayo side down to create a crust that is golden brown.
- Layer tomato jam, bacon, and arugula between the two slices of ciabatta.
- Serve immediately.
*Tip: To peel tomatoes quickly bring a pot of water to a boil, and with a sharp knife make an "X" in the skin on the bottom of the tomato. Quickly blanch the tomatoes in the boiling water for 1-2 minutes and then remove from water. The skin will peel right off!
After you make this sandwich (and love me forever because of it), you can also slather your leftover tomato jam onto toast with ricotta, serve it alongside some eggs, top a burger with some...the possibilities are endless! Yummy yummy possibilities!