We've been on a salad kick lately and one of our favorites combinations includes strawberries and chicken. There is something about the combination of sweet and savory that makes this salad the best. You might remember reading my strawberry, avocado, and walnut salad post which is basically the same salad I have just been adding chicken for additional protein! I love this combo so much that I had the idea to create the recipe for my strawberry balsamic grilled chicken! If you are looking for the perfect Memorial Day dish or are just interested in new healthy dinner options, this recipe is for you!
Like most people, I have fallen into a chicken rut where I find myself cooking the same recipes over and over until we are completely chickened out. This recipe is just the thing to bring your love of chicken back to life! It's sweet from the berries, tangy from the vinegar, and together mixed with the smokiness from the grill this chicken is so delicious!
Right now strawberries are at their sweetest, so take advantage by using them in different ways other than snack time! They can be transformed into something savory really easily depending on what they are paired with! I personally love that sweet and savory thing that happens in each bite of this chicken!
I top it off with a little fresh mint to brighten up the dish and bring gorgeous color to the plate! You could also use fresh basil here, but the addition of fresh herbs is something that I highly recommend! Your whole family will be on board with this dish and the two words boring and chicken won't be in anyone's sentence after they taste this recipe!
- 3-4 Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Cups of Strawberries, stemmed and sliced in half
- 1/4 Cup of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Shallot, diced
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar or Honey
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus 1 Tbsp.
- Fresh Mint or Basil for Garnish
- Saute shallot in a small pan in 1 tsp. olive oil until it starts to soften. Add strawberries, vinegar, sugar, and pinch of salt to the shallot and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce until sauce thickens and strawberries break down slightly.
- Preheat grill to medium low heat.
- Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper on both sides and drizzle with 1 tbsp. olive oil to prevent sticking on the grill.
- Grill chicken on each side for about 10 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Puree strawberry balsamic glaze until smooth in a food processor or blender.
- The last couple of minutes of cooking the chicken, brush each side with the glaze and cook one minute on each side until glaze adheres to the chicken and caramelizes slightly.
- Remove from grill, let rest for a couple of minutes.
- To serve, top with additional strawberry balsamic glaze and fresh mint or basil.
- Serve immediately.
This dish is light and summery and is perfect for any cookout or party you will be hosting this season!