I am finally cooking in my kitchen again and I gotta tell you, I felt a little rusty for a few days. I had to get my mojo back, including getting used to a new kitchen, remembering where I put everything, and figuring out the new cook times with this oven since it cooks completely differently than my last one. This week I'm getting my stride back it seems and I am so glad to be settled and feeling somewhat normal again. After spending two week eating out and surviving off of whatever Canean and I could find to eat (including fulfilling my pregnancy cravings), we decided this week we were both going to get back to our healthy lifestyles and that includes working out and eating right. My whole wheat pasta with peas and radishes is the perfect light lunch or dinner side that is healthy and full of flavor.
Prepping for the week is the only way to ensure you will be successful to stay on track..at least for me it's that way. And one of my most favorite tricks is to make a dish that I can eat on for a few days. It's ready to eat, so it doesn't give me time to choose a not so healthy option instead. This pasta salad is the perfect recipe to make in advance because it can be eaten at room temperature or right out of the fridge.
This pasta salad screams Spring and sunshine and even though it's a pasta, it's super light and fresh! Serve it alone or along side some grilled chicken or fish and you'll be able to pat yourself on the back for feeding your body something good!
The bite of the radishes with the sweet peas and tangy lemon vinaigrette are taken to the next level with bits of salty Parmesan throughout the pasta salad. It's a crowd pleaser that you and your family will love!
- 1 Lb. Whole Wheat Pasta
- 1/4 Cup of Sliced Radishes
- 1/2 Cup of Peas (Fresh or Frozen)
- 1/2 Cup of Fresh Parmesan, broken into small chunks
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- Juice from One Lemon
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced finely or grated
- 1/4 Cup of Good Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Mix together your honey, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt heavily, add pasta and cook until al dente.
- About 30 seconds before pasta is done, add your peas and blanche quickly.
- Drain pasta and peas and let cool.
- Slice your radishes and break up your Parmesan into small chunks. I do this by taking the end of a knife and breaking the cheese off bits at a time.
- Once your pasta is fully cooled add your radishes, parmesan, and vinaigrette to the pasta and the peas and mix well. Taste, add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
And if you are in the market for another great salad that is really great for you, try my strawberry, avocado, and walnut salad! You will love either of these salads to mix into your weekly menu!