Whoa, what a week last week! If you followed along with me on Instagram, you will know that we talked about everything back to school and had a week full of giveaways and more! It was such a great week, but this week we are back to talking about easy dinners, because at this time of year, we need those easy meals more than ever! Am I right? You may have seen my Top 10 Easy Weeknight Meal post by now, but in addition to meals that are ready in under 30 minutes, at this time of year slow cooker meals come in very handy too! My Slow Cooker Sticky Asian Ribs are so easy to make up any day of the week and your whole family is going to love them!
We are at that time of year where summer and fall collide and I find myself always torn about diving right into fall, but I'm also afraid to let go of summer! These ribs are kind of the best of both worlds, because ribs scream summer to me, but switching up the flavors and cooking them up in the slow cooker means you can do it even when the weather turns cold!
I like to serve them with green beans or broccoli and jasmine rice to make a complete meal that is full of flavor and will be approved by the whole family!
This recipe is based on some sticky ribs that we had when we were in Hawaii that I haven't stopped thinking about since so I had to create my own version at home! They are a little bit spicy, sweet, and super sticky and tender...just the way ribs should be! I am telling you that these ribs are going to be a family favorite at your house! They are so so full of flavor and are also great for game day eats! We have officially entered football season and game day eats are the only reason I watch football, let's be honest!
I can't wait for you to try out this recipe for yourself because I know you are going to flip over it!
- 1 Rack of Pork Ribs
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Ketchup
- 4 Tbsp. Hoisin
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Ginger
- 3 Tbsp. Rice Wine Vinegar
- 3 1/2 Tbsp. Chinese Five Spice
- 1 Red Onion. diced small
- 1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Sriracha if desired
- Green Onions for Topping
- Hot Chiles for Topping (if desired)
- 1 Tsp. Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Make sauce by sautéing red onion in a small saucepan in sesame oil on high heat until slightly charred.
- Add in soy sauce, ketchup, hoisin sauce, ginger, rice wine vinegar, 1/2 tbsp. Chinese five spice, brown sugar, and Sriracha and whisk until combined.
- Thicken for 5-10 minutes and remove from heat.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the ribs and then rub 3 tbsp. of Chinese Five Spice all over them. (This can be done the night before for extra flavor.)
- Add in ribs to the slow cooker and then pour the sauce over top of the ribs.
- Turn slow cooker on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours until ribs are cooked and tender. (you don't want to cook them so long that they fall apart, but want them to be fork tender!)
- If desired for a little char, which I recommend, place the ribs onto a baking sheet and broil for 5-10 minutes until the sauce gets browned and caramelized. You can also place them on the grill for a couple minutes per side to achieve the same effect. (This step is completely optional, but really takes it to the next level and gives you that char that is so good on ribs!)
- Top with chiles, green onions, and sesame seeds and serve immediately!
When I tell you that these ribs are insanely good, I am not lying! My hubby said that they just might be his favorite ever! Make sure to pin this recipe to make over and over again!