Somewhere along the way, my kiddo decided that he HAD to have a donut every time we were at the grocery store. I mean, I am all about a donut every now and then but y'all...I go to the grocery about 2 or 3 times a week! That is too many donuts for anyone in one week, especially because I try to limit the amount of sugar we get! So because of his new obsession with this very unhealthy food item, I decided to make us a healthier version at home! I love creating my own version of foods that are indulgent right in my own kitchen because I can control the ingredients! My healthy carrot cake donuts are perfect to make in advance for all week long and you can feel good about your family eating them!
I love any recipe where I get to add vegetables into it, especially one that can be eaten for breakfast! With fall right around the corner, I have been starting to crave all of the fall flavors! Carrot cake is the perfect transitional flavor to satisfy my fall cravings while not going full on pumpkin just yet! (Just so you know I am not far away from making pumpkin everything!) These donuts have so many wonderful warm spices, are just sweet enough but with no refined sugars, and are hearty enough to keep bellies full...you are going to love them!
These donuts are perfect to make in advance for any meal prepping you might do and then you can have them for those rushed mornings now that school is back in session! They also make great lunch box additions and I can guarantee your kids will be pumped about having a donut for lunch! Shhhh, they don't have to know that they are actually good for them too!
Now just fair warning, homemade baked donuts are not the same as traditional donuts, but they do satisfy the craving and are so fun to make! I think you will love making these as an alternative to pancakes or waffles for something a little different!
If you are craving fall flavors like me, you might also want to go ahead and make my whole wheat pumpkin waffles that freeze beautifully, are healthy, and taste so amazing too!
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup of Milk
- 1 Tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup of Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup of Greek Yogurt
- 2 Mashed Ripe Bananas (by hand, leaving a little chunky)
- 1 Cup Finely Grated Carrots
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract +1/4 Tsp.
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 3/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/4 Tsp. All Spice
- 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Cup Plain, Full Fat Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tsp. Maple Syrup or Honey
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix milk and apple cider vinegar together and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Mash bananas, and mix together the rest of the wet ingredients including grated carrots and milk/cider mixture. (Reserve 1/4 Tsp. Vanilla)
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Slowly fold in dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Pour batter into a large gallon sized plastic zip tight bag and cut the end off to create a piping bag. You can alternatively just spoon the batter into the pans.
- Pipe the batter into the donut pans and then bake for approximately 20-25 minutes. (no need to grease the donut pans if they are nonstick)
- To test if the donuts are baked through, stick a toothpick in the middle and see if it comes out clean.
- While donuts cool, mix together Greek yogurt, 1/4 Tsp. vanilla, and maple syrup and then drizzle over top of the donuts when ready to serve.
Note: If making donuts for the week, keep in refrigerator and then drizzle yogurt sauce on right before serving. Nut butter is also delicious on top of these donuts for a little extra protein!
I am thinking I need to make a new batch of these ASAP because I am remembering just how good these beauties really are! Make sure to pin this recipe so that you can make it over and over! (Because believe me, you will be making them over and over!)