The weather went from crisp but perfectly warm Spring days to almost full on humid Summer heat in what seems like overnight! Lately the thoughts of turning my oven on make me cringe because I know my air conditioner doesn't need any more work added to it's heavy lifting as it is. And you know what, the worst is yet to come! Nevertheless, Summer heat means salads will be making it to our table a few times a week and one of my all time favorite salads just so happens to be a Caesar Salad! What I don't love is that usually when I order a Caesar salad out at a restaurant, I know that it can be super unhealthy and I might as well be eating a cheeseburger in most cases! That's why I love making my own version at home! Add my healthier shrimp Caesar salad to your weeknight routine and see just how easy it is to make right in your own kitchen!
There isn't anything better than crisp romaine lettuce topped with a creamy dressing, and when you add some cheese and croutons to the mix, well... you've got a party. You know when your toddler is cramming romaine lettuce into his mouth that the dressing must be amazing and it really is! I love making extra of this dressing to keep in the fridge for easy lunches that taste as satisfying as a restaurant salad would be! I simply save the extra dressing in a mason jar and store it in the fridge for up to two weeks! Prepping dressings like this will save you from making poor decisions during the week!
This recipe is the perfect throw together, healthy weeknight meal! A couple of ingredient swaps here and there and you have a yummy and lower calorie version of a favorite that your whole family will love!
Enjoy one of your favorite salads in the comfort of your own home and do it without falling off of your meal plan. When salads are this satisfying, you don't miss the other stuff that isn't good for you!
I'm so stoked for you to give this recipe a try!
- 1 Lb. of Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Juice from 1 Lemon
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Head of Romaine Lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese (depending on how much cheese you like)
- A few slices of whole wheat bread (I love to use ends of bread and scraps that I have saved in the freezer for this!)
- 1/4 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Avocado Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 Tsp. Anchovy Paste
- 1 Garlic Clove
- Juice From One Lemon
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. White Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet (preferably cast iron or a grill pan) over medium high heat.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 tbsp. olive oil to the skillet and place shrimp, seasoned side down, into a single layer in the skillet.
- Season the other side of the shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes until just pink, careful not to overcook.
- Season bread cubes with 1 tbsp. olive oil and salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Place croutons onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- While shrimp and croutons are cooking, combine dressing ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Layer romaine lettuce, shrimp, parmesan cheese, and croutons onto plate and then toss with desired amount of Caesar dressing. Serve immediately.
This salad is a must-make if you ask me! If you love Caesar salads, then this salad is for you and guess what?? You get to eat it without any guilt! (Heck yeah!)