I cannot believe August has arrived and back to school has already started! Where did the summer go? But let's be honest, summer actually isn't over yet is it? The heat is still sticking around and we still have a good month or two left of some of my favorite summer produce! Last week I made a random salad based upon what I had in the fridge, and omg guys...it was one of the best salads I have made in a long time! I knew that I was going to have to make it again, and that I needed to let you guys in on this amazing salad combination too! My grilled bbq chicken and peach salad is the quintessential summer salad and it needs to be on your dinner table asap while the gettin' is good!
What is your favorite summer fruit? For me its a toss up between watermelon and peaches! I just can't get enough of either one of them and if you were to look in my fridge during the summer months, you can guarantee that both of these fruits will be in there! Peaches are one of those fruits that work so well paired with savory recipes and cocktails! I like to make a peach chutney to top pork burgers, peach caprese salads, and my fave just might be peach sangria! The options are endless with how you can use up those end of the summer peaches that are ripe and ready!
One of my favorite combos is a savory and sweet salad and one that has lots of crunch. For this recipe, the smoky bbq sauce paired with sweet summer peaches, crisp romaine lettuce, slightly pickled onions, and fresh corn makes for one dynamite combination y'all! You can add or subtract any of the extra toppings based upon what you have in your fridge and as long as you have the bbq chicken and the peaches, your salad is going to be delicious!
If you still aren't convinced that you need this salad in your life just know that I deconstructed this salad for my toddler and he gobbled it right up, lettuce included! It's just that good guys!
Dinner in under 30 without turning the oven on...and your kids will eat it too? Yes please!
Ingredients: (serves 3-4)
- 1 Lb. Chicken Tenders (Can use breasts or thighs also)
- 1/4 Cup BBQ Sauce of Choice
- 2 Peaches, Sliced
- 1 Cup Diced English Cucumber (Seedless)
- 1 Head of Romaine Lettuce (About 4 Cups)
- 1/2 Cup Arugula or Baby Spinach
- 2 Ears of Fresh Corn
- 1/2 Cup Grape Tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 Cup Thinly Sliced Red Onion
- Avocado or Olive Oil Spray
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 10 Fresh Basil Leaves
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tsp. Honey
- 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees.
- While the grill preheats combine vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a mason jar and shake to combine well.
- Add sliced red onion to the vinaigrette and toss to cover while you prepare the rest of the salad to slightly pickle them and take away the harshness from the raw onion.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and spray with avocado oil or olive oil spray to prevent sticking.
- Place chicken on preheated grill and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes until cooked through. (cook time will be different for breasts or thighs)
- Place corn on the grill at the same time as the chicken on indirect heat and cook until slightly charred.
- Brush with bbq sauce and cook for another minute per side until caramelized.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare the rest of the ingredients for the salad.
- Slice romaine lettuce thin, and then layer with peaches, cucumber, tomatoes, corn, and barbecued chicken.
- Remove the onions from the vinaigrette and place onto the salad and then drizzle with desired amount of vinaigrette.
- Julienne the basil (sliced into thin strips) and then sprinkle on top of the salad.
- Serve immediately.
Isn't she a beauty? Summer dinners don't get much better than this! Pin this recipe to save for your meal planning next week and I promise you won't regret it! Also make sure to tune into my Instagram Live series that I do every Wednesday at 2pm Central time where I whip up easy weeknight meals!