Happy New Year Friends! We have literally been out of town for almost a full two weeks and I am slowly getting back into the swing of things. Not to mention that it is COLD here in Texas, which basically never happens, and I know what you northerners are thinking...it can't be that cold, but guys...the temp went down to 23 degrees last night! I don't care where you live, that is cold, especially to those of us who are used to mild winters! So while I am definitely hopping back on the healthy food wagon this week, I need some stick to your bones kinda food...because hello cold weather! My homemade beef and vegetable soup is exactly the kind of meal that we all need in our lives right about now and you need to make it ASAP!
In my opinion there isn't anything better to eat when it is cold outside than soup! I'm kind of an all year long soup lover, but during the winter months I make at least one soup a week! I originally made this soup when my dad was coming into town and I wanted to make a meal that I could have already prepared, was hearty enough for a "dad meal", and was somewhat good for us too! Lean beef, lots of veggies, and delicious broth make this soup not only delicious, but also good for you too!
If you are a soup lover like me, I went ahead and linked a couple of my other favorite soups to make all season long!
To make the first week of the new year even better, go ahead and add the ingredients for my homemade beef and vegetable soup to your grocery list and make it this week! Your whole family is going to gobble it right up!
- 2 lbs. of diced lean stew meat
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- 1 Tsp. Salt + more for seasoning to taste
- 1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper + more for seasoning to taste
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 6 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 Onion diced fine
- 4 Minced Garlic Cloves
- 1 Cup Fresh Green Beans snapped in half and ends removed
- 1 Cup Diced and Peeled Carrots
- 1 Cup Diced and Peeled Russet Potato
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- 1 Cup Corn (optional)
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes
- 6 Cups of Low Sodium Beef Stock
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Salt and pepper meat liberally and then brown on all sides.
- Remove the meat and set it aside.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add your carrots and potatoes at this time and sauté them for another five minutes or so and season with more salt and pepper.
- Add in the bay leaf, thyme, and parsley and stir to combine.
- Add the meat back into the pot along with the tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Add the stock at this time and season again with salt and pepper.
- Add the green beans at this time and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and then simmer the soup for about 3-4 hours until the meat gets really tender.
- Add in frozen peas and corn at this time as they will only need to heat through.
- Taste the soup and add more seasoning if desired.
Y'all this soup is so comforting and is completely family friendly! Your kiddos will eat up these veggies no problem! I cannot wait for you to give this one a try!