Hey guys! I hope you all had a fabulous 4th of July and if you are anything like me, you are already ready for the weekend! We were on vacation last week and I have been trying to get back into the swing of things since Monday and because of the holiday thrown in, I feel like I haven't known what day it is all week! I do know that I am ready for Friday and it's officially one day away which means cocktails are in my near future. Parks has been on another level of crazy this week and this mama could use one or two delicious cocktails about now. My Rhubarb Basil Martini is summer in a glass and is the perfect weekend cocktail!
Rhubarb is an ingredient that I never had growing up. It wasn't until a few years ago that I decided to start experimenting with it. It's classically used in pies with strawberry, and I just made a strawberry rhubarb cheesecake "nice cream" that is to die for, but another favorite way to use this beautiful ingredient is in a cocktail!
It's slightly tart so I love it in a cocktail because it doesn't end up being too sweet! Paired with fresh basil, the combination is to die for! This is one martini you are going to want to make all summer long!
- 1/2 Diced Rhubarb (about 2 stalks)
- 1/4 Cup Sugar (or honey)
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 8 Leaves of Fresh Basil
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Oz. Vodka
- Ice Cubes
- In a small saucepan combine rhubarb, sugar, and water and bring to a boil.
- Boil the rhubarb until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree the rhubarb simple syrup and then strain to remove the pulp and chill thoroughly.
- In a cocktail shaker combine 2 oz. of the rhubarb simple syrup, basil leaves, lemon juice, and vodka.
- Muddle the basil leaves well by using the back end of a wooden spoon in the liquid and then add a few ice cubes.
- Shake the cocktail until chilled and then strain into a martini glass.
- Garnish and serve immediately.
Happy almost weekend friends! Cheers!