Happy Monday friends! How was your weekend? Our was really good, but it went by so so fast! We did however celebrate the Astros heading to the World Series, which my dad and hubby are headed to today! I am not a huge "watch on tv" sports girl, but I love going to games, so I'm slightly jealous! I think it's partly due to the fact that I use it as an excuse to eat hot dogs and nachos and justify that it is a mandatory thing when one is at any type of sporting event! I will say though, on the opposite end of the spectrum, that anytime Canean is out of town, I love getting to fix girly meals that he wouldn't be thrilled about! I tend to eat way lighter than when he is home for this reason! Recipes like my brussel sprout, apple, and fennel salad with toasted walnuts and parmesan is one that I usually serve as a side, but tonight it's going to be the main meal for me!
So before you stop reading this because you are convinced you don't like brussel sprouts...hear me out. My hubby will tell you that brussel sprouts are his least favorite veggie. He does however love them raw in a salad, and when I say a salad, I mean THIS salad! I am not lying when I tell you that this brussel sprout salad is so delicious guys!
It's the perfect salad to serve for entertaining this holiday season because it's super easy, looks beautiful, and is a real crowd pleaser. I bet if you didn't tell your guests that you were serving them brussel sprouts they wouldn't even know! It would be the most gorgeous Thanksgiving side dish too! I love serving a few side dishes that are bright and fresh to go with all of the other indulgent food like stuffing and pumpkin pie!
Since I created this recipe, we have had this salad every week for the past three weeks! It's just that good. For any night of the week serve it alone, or alongside a piece of chicken, fish, or pork and dinner is done! It also holds up well after it's tossed with my mustard and apple cider vinaigrette so you can eat on it for several days after preparation!
Just trust me on this one guys and make the dang salad...you can thank me later! Mmkay?
- 2 Cups Shredded Brussel Sprouts (sliced very thin)
- 1 Apple, sliced into matchsticks (I like a tart apple, so honeyrcrisp or a granny smith would be perfect)
- 1 Fennel Bulb, sliced thinly +2 Tbsp. Reserved Fennel Fronds
- 1/2 Cup Toasted Walnuts
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese Grates
For the Vinaigrette:
- 3 Tbsp. Whole Grain Mustard
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp. Maple Syrup
- 1 Tsp. Kosher or Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
Note: You can make more of the vinaigrette if you like your salads dressed a little heavier!
- Combine vinaigrette ingredients in a mason jar and shake until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine brussel sprouts, apple sticks, sliced fennel and toss to combine.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over top and toss to coat lightly.
- Sprinkle with walnuts, parmesan cheese, and fennel fronds and serve immediately or store for up to 3 days.
I hope you guys have a fantastic week this week and that my brussel sprout, apple, and fennel salad with toasted walnuts and parmesan appears on your table one night very soon!
P.S. Go Astros!! Who are you pulling for in the World Series??