It's hard to believe that June is almost over and it's already time for July 4th! This year is speeding by and just like that we are halfway through the year. Before you know it Halloween will be here and then Christmas...which is maybe a little dramatic, but seriously it will be here in the blink of an eye! Do you have big plans for the 4th? We have friends coming into town and will probably find some fireworks to watch, head down to the water for the day, and of course will be eating lots of yummy food (duh). One item that will be on my 4th of July menu is my fresh berry salad with whipped cream for dessert! It's the easiest, no bake dessert and you don't have to feel as bad about eating it either!
After all, we will all be indulging a little more than usual with all the BBQ and celebrating that will be happening over the course of the weekend, so it's kinda nice to have a light dessert option! Berries are still gorgeous just about everywhere right now and to me, they just go with the 4th of July!
Growing up, my mom always made a cake with white frosting that had an American flag decorated out of berries on top. I think that is one of the reasons I associate berries with the holiday still to this day!
This berry salad is jazzed up with fresh lemon juice, a teeny bit of sugar, fresh mint, and homemade whipped cream! It's light, simple, and delicious and all of your guests will love it. The best part is, you barely have to put forth any effort!
- 4 Cups of Assorted Fresh Berries (I used strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)
- 3 Tbsp. Sugar (1 for the berries, 2 for the whipped cream)
- Juice from 1 Lemon, plus the zest for garnish
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Mint, chopped fine
- 1/2 Cup of Heavy Whipping Cream
- Combine all berries into a large bowl. Add lemon juice, 1 tbsp of sugar, and mint and mix well.
- Let chill in fridge for an hour.
- Combine heavy whipping cream and 2 tbsp. of sugar and beat until light and fluffy where soft peaks have formed. At this point you have store in the fridge until after dessert is ready to be served.
- To serve, portion out berries and top with fresh whipped cream and garnish with mint and lemon zest.
We all need a stress free recipe when it comes to entertaining and this will become your new favorite not only for this weekend, but throughout the whole summer!