In the summertime I envy all of the other states across the country who aren't drenched with humidity and extreme high heat, like we are here in Louisiana. However, currently with all of the ice and snow storms that some of you are dealing with, I am feeling pretty blessed in live in the deep South where 45 degree days are considered cold! And when it's cold, there just isn't much to be motivated about. I just want to hibernate with the biggest blanket I can find, eat comfort food, and watch as many bad chick flicks as the Hallmark channel will play for me. Nothing says comfort and warmth to me like a warm bowl of my healthy turkey spaghetti bolognese!
Honestly I have probably told you this before, but my absolute favorite, could eat for the rest of my life...everyday of my life meal is spaghetti and meatballs..or really just any kind of spaghetti and red sauce! I looovveee it and crave a big bowl of it for dinner on a regular basis.
I have this dream actually to go to Italy and find the oldest grandma I can find and to let her teach me her authentic recipe for all things pasta and pizza. I would kill for those secrets, and what I love about food is that there is no language barrier, because when you are cooking with someone in their kitchen, the food does the talking. I'm completely lost in a daydream right now....
Oh right, back to my healthier bolognese! Because I cannot for the life of me give up my pasta, I often times find ways to cut a few calories here and there so I can feel less guilty about eating it more often! I turned a traditional bolognese recipe into a healthier and lighter version that is super easy to make and just as delicious...well I don't want to be judged against that grandma in Italy, because she would cringe at the idea of a healthier version, but trust me you will never know the difference!
So while you are stuck inside while the ice melts, make the most of it with a hug in a bowl for dinner also known as my healthy turkey spaghetti bolognese!
- 1 Lb. Ground Turkey Breast
- 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 Stalks of Celery, diced
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Flakes
- 1/2 Cup of Dry Red Wine
- 1, 28 Oz. Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- Kosher Salt and Cracked Black Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese Rind
- 1/4 Cup of Fresh Basil
- Freshly Grated Parmesan for serving
- 1 Lb. Spaghetti Pasta (I use whole grain or whole wheat here, you could also use rice pasta to make GF)
*NOTE: To add extra veggies into the sauce, I like to add a grated zucchini and/or a finely diced head of broccoli! This is a great trick to get more veggies into your kiddos! Just simply add these in when you are sautéing the carrots as well!
- Heat a dutch oven or deep pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and your ground turkey and begin sautéing. Add salt and pepper to season the turkey meat.
- Once turkey has started to cook through, add your onion, celery, carrots, garlic, red chili flakes, and more salt and pepper. Cook until the turkey begins to brown and the vegetables are soft.
- Add your wine to deglaze the pan and let cook for about ten minutes until the wine has reduced through, scraping up all of the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- At this time add the tomatoes and parmesan cheese rind and season with salt and pepper.
- Let this mixture cook for about 20-30 minutes, covered.
- Add basil.
- Cook your pasta, drain, and then add your bolognese sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan.
- Serve Immediately.
Holy yum y'all! This bowl of deliciousness needs to be on your table this week, and that I am certain of!