Have you heard of pickle chicken? Sounds a little strange maybe, unless you are an avid pickle lover like me. And if you are, then you are more intrigued than anything. I'm going to need you to trust me on this one, because it will be your new favorite way to marinate your chicken from now until forever. With football season in full swing, we get to eat as much game day food as we want and grilled pickle chicken wings with Greek yogurt ranch are delicious and a healthier alternative to your normal deep fried wing smothered in full fat dressing.
This quite possible is one of the easiest recipes that I have or will ever give you. I think I should maybe call this recipe magical pickle chicken because it kind of acts like the perfect brine and creates super moist chicken with a golden and crispy skin.
I stumbled upon this idea on Pinterest not too long ago from Sugar Dish Me and I couldn't resist trying since I'm basically a pickle addict. Canean on the other hand was a little scared because he doesn't do pickles, like ever. Fortunately for him, the pickle flavor is mild and really the magic is in the way the chicken cooks. He loved it and I was hooked.
After trying the pickle chicken method a couple of times, I decided that pickle chicken wings had to be done. We love wings in this house and can be found guilty of eating a ridiculous amount together. The problem is, most of the time when you get wings its a cheat meal, and completely unhealthy.
If you grill them at home, they skin gets crispy, excess fat melts away, and you make your own sauce controlling the fat. I guarantee that if you make these for the big game, no one will miss the other versions.
- 2 Lbs. of Wings (I added a couple of drumsticks too)
- 1 Cup of Pickle Juice (I like some with garlic and lots of peppercorns for extra flavoring)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Nonfat or 2% Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. Reduced Fat Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. White Wine Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Dill
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Parsley
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme
- 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 Tsp. Pepper
- 1 Tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- A minimum of 4 hours in advanced but up to 24 hours, marinate your chicken wings in a plastic bag with your pickle juice.
- When ready to cook, preheat grill to medium-low.
- Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper to the wings right before grilling to ensure proper seasoning.
- Grill wings on each side for 5-6 minutes until golden and cooked through. You may have to reduce your grill temperature to low (around 300 degrees) so that you don't burn your wings.
- While the wings are cooking combine your Greek yogurt, mayo, vinegar, herbs, and spices in a food processor until combined well. Set aside.
- When wings are cooked through, remove from heat and sprinkle with fresh dill and serve with Greek yogurt ranch.
Grab a beer, grill some pickle chicken wings, and have yourself a fantastic weekend full of football and yummy food.
Pickle chicken y'all...it's a must try!