Do you ever read a recipe and it sounds great, but there is one problem...you don't have the fancy tool required to make it? I have been there, and over time I have collected what I think are the essentials for the kitchen to make life a little easier. These are my go-to weekly tools that I use all the time, and I want to share them with you! I'm sharing my top ten kitchen essentials that I think every home cook should invest in!
My kitchen essentials range from super basic to a few that are a little more fancy, but totally worth it! I want you to be able to cook along right with me without buying a bunch of equipment that turns out isn't going to help you all that much! I don't have extra room in my kitchen for a bunch of tools that aren't going to make my life easier and I don't want you to invest in those unnecessary ones either!
Here are my top ten favorite tools for everyday cooking in the kitchen.
- GOOD Knives - These are going to be pricey but totally worth your money and my absolute favorite thing in my kitchen! Hands down, this is the one thing I couldn't live without! (I use Global knives and could not love them more!)
- Salt Cellar- I pretty much only use Kosher Salt, it is better for you and adds more flavor to what you are cooking, I know this one seems simple, but I could not live without my salt cellar! It's so much easier to control the salt you add to your food when you are adding it with your fingers right from the salt cellar. And you can find them at any kitchen store!
- Wooden Spoons - I pretty much only use wooden spoons, they don't scratch your nonstick pans, they wash well, and you will have them forever!
- Kitchen Shears - You have to have a good set of kitchen shears! You can butterfly a chicken, cut up veggies, and a plethora of other things with a good set of shears and I use them all the time!
- Food Processor - I have a mini Cuisinart and a full size Kitchen Aid. I use them both all the time, but the mini is so nice to have to whip up a pesto, chop some herbs, make hummus, shred cheese...I could go on and on. The large one is nice because you can match larger batches of things. I make salsa, soups, doughs, etc. I think they are well worth the investment. If you are going to buy just one, I recommend a larger one!
- Blender - A good blender is great for smoothies, soups, and sometimes can be used instead of a food processor in some cases if you only have the budget to spring for one or the other!
- Cast Iron Skillet - Everybody needs a good seasoned cast iron skillet. You can do all things from frying chicken, making frittatas, blackening fish, and even baking breads and pizza in a cast iron skillet and they only get better as time goes on. You will have this pan forever because they don't wear out and with time, they just get better and better!
- Rice Cooker - I have told you all about this before, but seriously you will never want to make rice on the stove again! It's the best rice I've ever eaten and it's so easy (equal parts rice, equal parts water or stock, turn on and walk away). I also make quinoa the same way and it comes out perfect every time. Just get one, you'll see!
- Immersion Blender - Canean bought me one for Christmas a few years ago, and I love it! It's great for blending soups, making bullet proof coffee, and anything else that you need to blend without dirtying another dish in the kitchen! (Less cleanup..yes please!)
- Stand Mixer: Making cookies, cakes, and so much more has never been easier than if you have a stand mixer in your kitchen. They come with spiralizer attachments, pasta attachments and anything else you could ever wish for, making the possibilities endless for recipe creations! I leave mine on the counter at all times because I use it every single week!
These are definitely my top ten, but here are a few extras that I actually use quite a bit. While I wouldn't call them essentials, they are nice to have around!
- Ice Cream Maker
- Waffle Iron
- Pizza Stones/Pans
- Slow Cooker
If you are wondering what is on my wish list...it's is a new blender actually! I would love to own a Vitamix or Professional Kitchen Aid Blender! I am also thinking of breaking down and getting an Insta Pot too! (Do you own one...do you love it?)
I hope this gives you a place to start if sometimes you feel overwhelmed in this world of cooking and all of the gadgets that are out there! You can totally make do without a few of them, but having the right ones around cuts down on time and energy, and that's something we all need more of!
Tell me what your favorite item in your kitchen is, that you positively could not live without!