I am getting in the holiday spirit, despite the weather being above 80 degrees since we returned home from New York. I decorated my house, put up the tree, and have been blaring Christmas music all day everyday (I'm driving Canean crazy with it), but I secretly think he likes it. My favorite thing to do every night has been cozying up on the couch with a book by the tree and perhaps a glass or two of red wine and have been thinking that maybe I should just leave a tree up all year long...that wouldn't be crazy would it? Anyway, when we were in New York I had a beet cocktail that surprised me in the all the right ways. I knew that this week I had to make a a version of it that would be perfect for the holidays! The beet twist is totally unexpected in all the right ways, and it's basically like helping your body detox as you are drinking, soooo...it's good for you.
Do you like how I did that right there? Made a cocktail good for you?
Beets are high in vitamins and minerals, have been used as an aphrodisiac (true story), they cleanse the body, are a high source of energy, and you should incorporate them in your diet. Especially in a cocktail...I'm totally looking out for you this holiday season.
Not a fan of beets? Give them a shot, I think beets are a misunderstood vegetable. I happen to love beets roasted, raw, and I love them juiced so this cocktail was right up my alley. You can always use less beet juice if you are warming up to the taste, I would be okay with that.
I made a rosemary simple syrup, squeezed some fresh grapefruit juice, added some gin, a splash of soda water and called it a day! The result was delicious and stunning and I can't imagine a more beautiful color, seriously.
You guys have to make this and if you are having company over this cocktail would be stunning.
- 1/2 Cup of Fresh Beet Juice (you could buy it if you don't have a juicer)\
- 1/4 Cup of Freshly Squeezed Grapefruit Juice
- 4 Tbsp. Rosemary Simple Syrup (bring 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar to a boil along with 2 rosemary sprigs and then turn off heat and let steep for 10 minutes. Strain and cool.)
- 3 Oz. Gin
- Soda Water for Topping Off
- Mix the beet juice, grapefruit juice, simple syrup, and gin together and pour over two glasses filled with ice.
- Top off with soda water and garnish with a rosemary sprig.
*You can adjust the juices based on how strong you want your beet flavor and grapefruit flavor.
Kinda gorgeous isn't she?