School is officially back in for most schools here in Texas and that means busier schedules for us too! The importance of easy weeknight meals is more essential than ever right now and I want you to know that I get it, and I am here for you! I love having easy and healthy pasta recipes for just the kind of nights where your kids are starving and mom and dad are exhausted! My gluten free Italian sausage and pepper pasta is just the kind of dinner that you are going to want to add in to you weekly routine that is easy enough to cook even on the busiest of nights!
I'm currently in that place in my head where I know it is technically still summer, but with back to school rolling around, I also can't help but start craving more comforting foods and I can almost see fall on the horizon! I mean here in Texas we won't get a true weather shift for another couple of month (if we are lucky) but as long as it drops out of the 90's and 100's I'm good! I say all of that because this pasta is the best of both seasons! Comforting pasta, fresh summer veggies and basil combine to create a pasta that is full of flavor and is super satisfying too!
This dish is the perfect recipe to use up all of your summer peppers, zucchini and basil that you might have bought too much of at the market or have a plethora of growing in your garden! I made it with chickpea pasta to add more protein and make this dish gluten free, but you can really use whatever pasta that you have on hand!
I love a classic sausage and pepper sandwich and this pasta is kind of my take on that with an extra dose of veggies added in! This pasta is such a family friendly meal and you are going to love how easy it is to whip up any night of the week!
If you love this recipe, and are looking for more easy weeknight meals you can check out my top ten favorite easy weeknight dinners for more inspiration!
- 1 Lb. Italian Sausage, removed from casing (hot or mild)
- 1 Lb. Chickpea Pasta (rice pasta, or regular pasta work here too)
- 2 Diced Zucchinis
- 1 Cup Sliced Red and Yellow Bell Peppers
- 1 Diced Onion
- 2 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Tsp. Salt + more for pasta water
- 1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil
- 6-8 Cups of Water for boiling pasta
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add Italian sausage and brown on all sides for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt thoroughly (around 3-4 tbsp of salt).
- Add pasta and cook until al dente, according to package directions.
- Remove sausage once it has browned, and add onion, garlic, peppers and red pepper flake.
- Season with salt and pepper and continue to sauté until veggies start to become translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in diced zucchini and sausage at this time and stir to combine.
- Pour in chicken stock at this time to deglaze the pan and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- Mix in pasta to the sausage and vegetables and then add 1/2 of the reserved pasta water and mix to combine and make a sauce.
- Only add the rest of the pasta water if needed for consistency.
- Mix and top with fresh basil and serve immediately.
Make sure to save this recipe and pin it to keep for weekly dinner inspiration!