Hellooooo summer! Although in Texas it feels like it's been here for a month or two now, it actually just arrived yesterday and I for one think it gives us all permission to drink more cocktails and eat more ice cream. Who's with me? I am all about some ice cream guys, whether it's hot outside or not...but you probably know this by now. However, I have really been trying to make an effort to ditch the sugar and cure my sweet tooth in other ways. I know that you have seen nice cream making it's mark in history by creating a smooth and creamy ice cream base out of frozen BANANAS, which is actually kinda bananas in itself, but also pretty genius. Nevertheless, it is delicious and a great way to satisfy that ice cream craving that comes full circle with the mention of summertime! My strawberry rhubarb cheesecake "nice" cream is going to rock your tastebuds in all the right ways with absolutely zero guilt and you are going to want to make this at every BBQ for the rest of the summer!
I made my first nice cream about 5 years ago when the idea was just starting to circulate. I remember thinking it was good, but somehow managed to forget all about it and eat the full fat version instead over the past few years. Sure I see it versions of nice cream everywhere I look, but I was like no way can it be as good as the real thing. That is, until last weekend when I made this strawberry rhubarb cheesecake nice cream for Canean for Father's Day, and it was bomb diggity.
What led me to this nice cream recipe in particular was that I knew I was making cinnamon rolls for him for breakfast (hello not healthy), and then for dinner I knew ribs and homemade baked beans were on the menu (again not healthy), and I just couldn't add another not healthy item to the list that day, so I decided to turn my original ice cream recipe into a nice cream....and y'all I'm so glad I did!
I've officially hopped onto the nice cream train and you should too! Try this delicious recipe to stop yourself from eating an entire pint (because that's what we do, eat an entire pint) and whip up my strawberry rhubarb cheesecake "nice" cream instead!
- 1 Cup Chopped Rhubarb
- 1 Cup Sliced and Hulled Strawberries
- 3 Tbsp. Honey
- 2 Tbsp. Water
- 4 Frozen Bananas
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. Milk (or another non-dairy milk will work here too)
- 4 Oz. Softened Cream Cheese
- 2 Graham Crackers
- Make a strawberry and rhubarb compote by combining rhubarb, strawberries, 2 tbsp. honey, and water in a saucepan and heat over medium heat until fruit softens and begins to breakdown stirring occasionally.
- Using an immersion blender or a regular blender or food processor, blend the compote together until smooth. Chill for at least an hour.
- In a high powered blender or a food processor, add frozen bananas, vanilla, milk, and 1 tbsp. honey and process until smooth and creamy.
- Add cream cheese and process again until well combined.
- Layer half of the banana ice cream base into the bottom of a freezer safe container and then swirl half of the strawberry rhubarb compote on top followed by crushing 1 graham cracker on top.
- Repeat the layers one more time, ending with the last crushed graham cracker and then cover and freeze for 2-4 hours.
- Nice cream is best served the same day.
Guys, this ice cream is to die for! You are going to love this healthy version of one of your favorite desserts! Make it, take a picture, and tag me on Instagram so I can see it and share it too!