I have already confessed to you my love of corn and how I could eat it everyday. You could say I am on a corn kick right now, kinda like my blueberry kick that I just got off of. There is so much of it at the farmer's market and it's fresh and sweet and so great for any meal, any night of the week. Throw a piece of salmon on the grill, and we have ourselves a healthy meal that is ready in a jiff!
Most of the time I like to eat corn off of the cob because, I dunno maybe I like getting it stuck in my teeth? No, that can't be it...whatever the reason, I am not sure I even know, I like it. However, I found myself with 18 ears of corn (they are five bucks for a dozen, how could I resist) in my fridge and figured I should try something different with it. This is how my corn salad came to be.
This meal is perfect for getting you back on track after that holiday weekend that we all just came off of with too much barbeque and not enough veggies. It would be great for lunch or dinner and it's quick and easy for those weeknights when feel like you don't have the energy to cook something that's good for you.
I love leftover cold salmon the next day and this corn salad only gets more flavorful the longer it sits, so if you make a little extra, you have lunch or dinner covered for another day! The charred grilled corn flavor, mixed with fresh lime juice and just the right amount of spice is the perfect summer side for a delicious piece of salmon.
Let's stop talking and start cooking...
- 3-4 Pieces of Wild Salmon (try to stay away from farm raised)
- 2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Ground Cumin
- Juice from Two Limes
- Salt and Pepper
- 6 Ears of Fresh Corn, grilled and kernels removed
- 1/4 Cup Grape Tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 Red Onion Diced
- 4 Green Onions, Diced
- 1/2 Avocado Diced
- 1 Jalapeno, diced very small (you can leave or remove the seeds based on desired level of heat)
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- 2 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- 2 Tsp. Ground Cumin
- 2 Minced Garlic Cloves
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Marinate your salmon in the chili powder, cumin, lime juice, and salt and pepper while you prep your corn salad.
- Mix together in a small bowl, your 1/4 Cup lime juice, oil, cumin, garlic, and salt and pepper and let sit for about 15 minutes.
- Grill your corn on all sides until they have a slight char, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from grill allow to cool.
- Carefully cut off corn kernels into a large bowl. Add your other veggies to the salad and mix.
- Stand back and spray your grill with nonstick spray (it will flame) and then carefully grill your salmon on each side for about 4-5 minutes depending on your salmon thickness until just cooked through.
- To serve, add your dressing to the corn salad and mix well. Reserve a small amount of the dressing. Spoon some corn salad onto a plate and place salmon on the side. Spoon the extra dressing over top of the salmon.
Isn't it pretty? I love eating a meal full of color, you just know that it is good for your body!
There you have it, an easy, healthy meal that is full of flavor AND you get to feel great about eating it and feeding it to your family!
Now, go get yourself some fresh corn and make this meal and then tell me how you liked it!